The world is more connected than ever before. Even small businesses have customers in other countries. Ecommerce sites like Amazon and Ebay have made it even easier to sell overseas, as they help reduce shipping costs and streamline the order fulfillment process. If you have an international presence, or you want to strengthen your visibility in another country, attending an international trade show can support this goal.
Let’s learn about the benefits of promoting your business at an international conference and how to maximize your results.
Reasons to Attend an International Trade Show
Trade shows can be costly to attend, and international ones take things to a whole new level. Your company will be responsible for travel, transportation and food costs, as well as the expenses of designing a custom exhibit for your international audience. Are the benefits worth it? Maybe.
Here are some of the perks you can look forward to:
- Visit a new place. Sometimes, the best way to understand your international audience is by visiting their hometown. Learn about the people and the culture. What holidays do they celebrate? What customs do you find interesting? Where does your product or service fit into their lifestyle?
- Network with a new audience. Being able to talk over the phone or computer is helpful, but nothing replaces the value in face-to-face networking. Connect with attendees and learn about their pain points and perspectives.
- Increase brand visibility. Bring your brand front and center by attending an international conference. People who might have never heard of your company will be introduced. The next time they see your name, they’ll be more open to hearing from you.
- Learn industry trends. You have a lot to learn by attending global events. Listen to different points of view, see what your competitors are up to, explore new equipment and techniques and more. You can even check out some of the newest research that has yet to be published.
How to Maximize Your Results at a Global Event
If you think that an international trade show is a good opportunity for your business, here are a few ways to maximize your results.
- Do your research. Since this will be your first time in this new country, be sure to prepare accordingly. Learn the customs, the eating mannerisms, key phrases that the locals use and appropriate clothing.
- Build your exhibit. Your international audience may be different, so you might want something fresh. To save money, we recommend going with a portable or pop-up display. It will travel well and accommodate your audience. A rental is also a good option.
- Practice your pitch. Stand in front of the mirror and practice your pitch (which should be friendly and not too promotional). Also, take note of your nonverbal communication, as this varies in other countries. For example, many Asian and Iranian cultures do not view eye contact as a sign of respect.
IGE is one of the world’s best exhibit design firms, and we’re proud to support our clients domestically and internationally. To explore your exhibit options for an international conference, call us today!